[mdx] what to trust

Scott Cantor cantor.2 at osu.edu
Tue May 5 13:52:40 PDT 2009

Ian Young wrote on 2009-05-05:
> Scott might like to comment on whether using the @Name in this way (as
> the name of the group of entities of which the contained entities are
> a part, instead of as the name of the group of entities contained) is
> out of line with respect to the relevant spec.  To wording seems to
> allow for things to mean whatever a deployment wants them to, but I
> guess I might be choosing to read that section with more flexibility
> than intended.

There's absolutely nothing in the spec about what it should mean. It's only
there because we had this grouping notion from the pre-SAML metadata days
and needed a way to keep doing it.

One argument against wrapping single entities is the idea that you could
"resolve" the entityID into the metadata via some kind of indirection
protocol that doesn't otherwise change the underlying model in the SAML spec
for entity resolution. I don't know how compelling that is.

-- Scott