[mdx] what do do about duplicates

Scott Cantor cantor.2 at osu.edu
Mon May 11 16:35:51 PDT 2009

Leif Johansson wrote on 2009-05-11:
>  So now that we got through the trust-thread (try saying that quickly 3
> times) I've got another one for you all:
>
> What is the aggregator to do if it receives different metadata for the
same
> entityID from 2 different sources?
>
> - Throw some or all of it away? - Signal an error and have a human deal
> with it? - Merge metadata? - Keept the metadata separate and use the
> trust engine to figure out which to expose in published aggregates?
>
> And by the way: what constitutes difference in metadata?

You definitely can't merge them easily (unless somebody has a new idea for
how to pull that off), so you're picking one or the other. So it really
doesn't matter how you define "different", since if they're identical it
won't matter and if they're not, you're only accepting one of them.

Formally speaking, about all you could "overlay" would be roles with
distinct protocol support enums. That's guaranteed not to operationally
conflict, at least.

-- Scott