[mdx] Hi from a new guy

Andy Dale dalea at oclc.org
Fri Sep 14 10:56:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

Andy Dale from OCLC here. We are in the middle of setting up an Œinternal¹
SAML federation for us and some of our members. In the next couple of months
the federation will grow to 20,000 members and next year will at least
double from that. Having everyone download and cache the entire SAML
Metadata is clearly unreasonable and unworkable... Hence my interest in this
group.

I have noticed that the spec seems to be quite old and that there are what
appear to be unresolved discussion threads  on this list that may indicate
an edit might be in order.  I¹m afraid to say I also have some ideas of how
I would like to optimize Metadata retrieval that I would be interested to
get vetted by some folks smarter than me  (that¹s you).

So first... Is there anyone still on this list that wants to make progress?
Are there other lists we should notify and include if we do want to proceed?
I¹m willing to do a little wrangling and maybe even a little documentation
of consensus if there are interested participants.

All the best,

Andy