[mdx] kicking starting MDX for REEP

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 3 18:24:22 PDT 2013

On 4/3/13 9:10 PM, "John Bradley" <ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com> wrote:

>I don't know that anyone is saying they need MDX to immediately be a
>OASIS standard or IETF RFC.
>
>When Chad passed the ID over to Ian there were open issues and
>discussions.
>I took Nicole's  more as a question about funding Ian or someone else to
>keep it current and Shepard the ongoing discussion which has tapered off
>rather than trying to drive MDX to a final standard.
>
>I may have misunderstood.

One of us definitely did. I assumed the point was to finalize it.
Otherwise the draft stands as is, if somebody wants to use it, unless
there's something substantial to fix. I know of a few minor open issues,
but nothing that would impact implementation significantly. There's
profiling to be done, of course, but that's not going to be part of the
spec.

>While there is MDX support in some deployed software, I don't think we
>can say that it is widely used at this point.

Not used, no. Shipped, very widely. Thousands of deployed systems. Some of
the changes one might make would be non-breaking, but not all.

-- Scott