[mdx] GH issue 3: lookup based on entity attributes

Tom Scavo trscavo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 09:36:56 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Ian Young <ian at iay.org.uk> wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2013, at 17:08, Tom Scavo <trscavo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Ian Young <ian at iay.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> The usual question needs to be: is there a near-term, concrete use case for this ability, or does having the responder assign an identifier to an arbitrary collection suffice for the moment?
>>
>> I don't understand. If only (3) is supported, how will a responder
>> know when the ID is an entityID or the value of an entity attribute?
>> Seems like case (2) (at least) is needed.
>
> What I had in mind was that the responder would assign an identifier to cover the collection of entities with some particular characteristic. So, the collection of entities which met the condition "SAML entity attribute X contains value Y, and also supports SAML 2 but not SAML 1" could be given the identifier "foo". Then, a query for the identifier "foo" would return that collection of entities.

I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't see how to automate a
metadata production process without case (2). For starters, I want to
be able to automatically create an aggregate for every value of
http://macedir.org/entity-category and every value of
http://macedir.org/entity-category-support.

Tom