[mdx] GH issue 3: lookup based on entity attributes

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Wed Nov 27 09:54:39 PST 2013

On 27 Nov 2013, at 17:49, Tom Scavo <trscavo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Ian Young <ian at iay.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'd observe that there's nothing to prevent you using identifiers of the form A=B with the current spec.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, the equals sign would be encoded with
> the current spec whereas the proposed syntax would leave the equals
> sign untouched. So no, it's not the same in both cases.

I didn't say that it was the same, I'm saying that you can get what you need through one of two routes: explicit semantics defined in the spec or something implementation-defined that takes advantage of the very broad definition of an identifier.

Encoding the "=" within the identifier effectively gets defining the semantics out of the specification and into the implementation, where you can implement whatever you want.

	-- Ian