[mdx] Joe on section 2.1

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Tue Oct 1 02:29:00 PDT 2013

I have updated section 2 by adding a new subsection to address the transport protocol question, and clarified the HTTP Version section as previously discussed.  Revised text is attached.

[Obviously this means the current draft has different section numbering.  I'm going to continue to use the section numbers from Joe's comments until we have completed our pass through those.]

I'm going to regard this thread as concluded unless someone feels it needs more work.

	-- Ian

2.1.  Transport Protocol

   The metadata query protocol makes use of the HTTP protocol to
   transmit requests and responses.  The underlying HTTP connection may
   make use of any appropriate transport protocol.  In particular, the
   HTTP connection MAY make use of either TCP or SSL/TLS at the
   transport layer.  See the Security Considerations section for
   guidance in choosing an appropriate transport protocol.

2.2.  HTTP Version

   Requests from clients MUST NOT use an HTTP version prior to version
   1.1.  Responders MUST reply to such requests using status code 505,
   "HTTP Version Not Supported".

   Protocol responders MUST support requests using HTTP version 1.1, and
   MAY support later versions.