[mdx] on splitting the spec

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Tue Oct 1 06:19:28 PDT 2013

On 1 Oct 2013, at 13:58, Tom Scavo <trscavo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Ian Young <ian at iay.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> * The whole SHA-1 identifier thing ends up as a MUST as a result of a feature within SAML. There does not seem to be a corresponding use case for other forms of metadata, so perhaps implementations could dispense with this potential security issue if they weren't serving SAML metadata. We certainly need to at least mention SAML in the justification for including the feature.
>
> It's not SAML metadata considerations that require SHA-1 hashed
> identifiers, it's metadata used to drive SAML Web Browser SSO. JSON
> metadata could be used for this purpose. Likewise SAML metadata could
> be used to drive OpenID Connect flows.

That's true in principle, but doesn't seem to be relevant in practice, at least today.

Is this just an observation, or are you suggesting that the use case of an entity processing SAML 2.0 artifact flows that is unable to interpret SAML 2.0 metadata is important enough that we can't live without SHA-1 transformed identifier support for all metadata types?

	-- Ian