[mdx] Joe on section 3.2.1

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Mon Sep 30 13:27:28 PDT 2013

On 9/30/13 4:16 PM, "Ian Young" <ian at iay.org.uk> wrote:

>Š is that the ' ' becomes '+' rule only applies in the query part of a
>URL, or in form data, with a URL lacking a query part (which is what we
>have here) encoding ' ' as '%20'.

I suppose that's true. It's just very confusing.

>There's probably a lot of code that just assumes any '+' it sees anywhere
>really just means a space, though. I'm not sure we need to, as long as we
>are clear about what we are saying (I don't think we are at present).

Me either.

>I think it would also pretty much rule out any more general query
>language because there would be nowhere to put other operators than
>"and".  Not clear that would be a problem, though.

It wouldn't handle arbitrary expressions, no, but we could have an
operator parameter that's defaulted, that specifies the operator to apply.
There can also be a parameter specifying the overall grammar of the query,
also defaulted, allowing for future extension. That is how I tend to
define things, but some people find that overly confusing.

>Can you give us a concrete proposal?

Spec text would take me some time, but I think the main question is
whether loading up multiple parameters of the same name is workable. It
sounds like it's not if something as mainstream as PHP can't handle it.

However, if that's just old PHP, I don't much care about that.

-- Scott