[mdx] url-encoding a basic identifier

Tom Scavo trscavo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:39:14 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Ian Young <ian at iay.org.uk> wrote:

> In RFC 3986, '+' is a sub-delim, unlike things like '/' and '?' which are gen-delims. These classes appear to be distinguished (section 2.2) in that %-encoding is essentially mandatory for gen-delims when building a URI (so, to make a path component with '/' or '?' in it requires %-encoding) but whether to %-encode is scheme-specific for sub-delims. I can't find anything requiring %-encoding of '+' in http URLs.

As discussed in the reference Leif provided, the content type
application/x-www-form-urlencoded uses the plus sign, so from that one
can conclude that a query string should use that as well.

>> As far as what to send, if we say "URL-encode", that's %20, and if we
>> formally call out use of the MIME type used by browsers for form
>> submission, it would be '+'.
>
> We definitely don't refer to that MIME type. The intention was to use URL encoding, so that the intention was for the answer to Tom's question to be "%20".

Yeah, that's what I thought.

> If people can re-read the current draft, we can figure out whether that's sufficiently clear.

No, it's not, and I agree with Scott that might require some
additional language.

Tom