[mdx] syntax for entity-attributes

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 22 11:28:26 PDT 2014

On 8/22/14, 2:26 PM, "Cantor, Scott" <cantor.2 at osu.edu> wrote:

>On 8/22/14, 2:15 PM, "Tom Scavo" <trscavo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Three years ago a syntax for entity attributes was proposed but that
>>syntax is no longer compatible with the Metadata Query Protocol. Is
>>there still interest in a syntax for entity attributes? If so, what
>>might such a syntax look like?
>>
>>Possible use case: An aggregate of all IdPs that support R&S
>
>IIRC, I think the prevailing sense was to handle that for now with custom
>query terms that would be internally mapped into "all the IdPs with entity
>attribute X value Y".

This is also partly derived from the sense that those query terms would be
defined by each system offering up metadata, and that when it comes to
using this protocol from an actual end entity, the goal was that the
entity would be asking for results from basically one trusted MDQ
endpoint, its trusted oracle. Being that the multiple trusted oracle model
is really what we have now with federations each offering up metadata you
have to verify and juggle all the keys for. So the fact that you might not
get uniform search query names across oracles wasn't a major hassle.

-- Scott