[mdx] new versions of draft-young-md-query and -saml

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Thu Oct 23 09:26:11 PDT 2014

Partly because the old versions were about to expire, I have made new drafts of the two metadata query specifications. In fact I ended up doing this twice due to a stupid typo in the first submission.

The new versions incorporate a number of the changes we've discussed over the past few months.

For https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-young-md-query/,
going from draft-young-md-query-02 to -04, the major changes are:

   Reworked the definition of the base URL so that a non-empty path
   ending with '/' is required.  This allows the definition of request
   URLs to be simplified.

   Clarified the definition of the base URL to exclude a query
   component; corrected the terminology for the fragment identifier
   component.

   Added the definition for the query for all entities in Section 3.2.2.

   Corrected an example in Section 3.2.4 to include the required double
   quotes in the value of an ETag header.  Added text to clarify the
   base URL and identifier being used in the example.

   Simplified the definition of identifiers, so that any non-empty
   identifier is accepted and no semantics are defined for particular
   structures.  Extended syntaxes such as the "{sha1}" notation for
   transformed identifiers are now left to profiles.

For http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-young-md-query-saml/,
going from draft-young-md-query-saml-01 to -03, the major change is:

   Rework Section 2.2 to make the role of transformed identifiers
   clearer.  This changes the semantics slightly (malformed transformed
   identifiers may now result in a 404 return rather than 400) but this
   gives implementers more latitude in the way that they handle the
   feature.

My next task is to circle back to the HTTP usage and revise the specs to refer to the new HTTP 1.1 specifications instead of RFC 2616. These are much clearer, and this will allow me to take another pass on the conditional retrieval and cache control parts of the protocol, as I attempt to build a reference implementation of those.

Enjoy,

	-- Ian