[mdx] Small change proposed to draft-young-md-query-saml-07

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 9 13:32:10 PST 2017

> Your reference to "ham sandwich" on the dev list made me realize that
> if we profile the use of an auxiliary list of transformed identifiers
> (or whatever you want to call them), then an MDQ server implementation
> can support *all* artifact types, including Type 2 artifacts, without
> violating the spec. That just seems wrong.

It's suboptimal perhaps but there are degrees of wrong. It doesn't hurt anything in the bigger picture especially if the case is obscure and just not interesting to anybody. I'm really past caring, because I forgot that the implementation profile actually says nothing about artifact support. You prodded me to check, so I did.

So if the draft we're using actually is non-interopable in some obscure manner with artifacts, it doesn't actually impact the profile work, and that eliminates my rush to adjust it.

> This assumes there are no <SourceID> elements in metadata. If there
> are, an MDQ server implementation should take them into account in the
> same way an SP that relies on aggregate metadata handles <SourceID>
> elements. (I don't know if your SP does or not, I'm just saying.)

It does, and that is *exactly* what we proposed doing.

-- Scott