[mdx] Metadata Retrieval From Aggregate Protocol

Chad La Joie chad.lajoie at switch.ch
Mon Jun 1 05:03:56 PDT 2009

Josh Howlett wrote:
> Chad,
>
> Just a couple of comments from me:
>
>> Retrieval of Descriptor Collection (RDC) Operation:
>>    - URL Path Format 'entity-collection/{id}
>
> First, can you expand on what you mean by 'collection'?

To the protocol the exact meaning of collection, is defined only as a
collection of entity descriptors (i.e. an EntitiesDescriptor).  How
exactly the aggregate defines/creates such collections is, of course,
out of scope for the protocol.  However, the use case I had in mind were
the various "community" cases you talked.

You talked before about a "WebSSO" community.  So, assuming a collection
called 'websso' the reflected this community you would pull it from the
aggregate by accessing a URL like
'http://example.org/aggregationEngine/entity-collection/websso'.

> Secondly, did you have a time in mind for broaching this protocol with
> the broader community? I have purely selfish interests in mind, as I
> would like to proceed with the eduGAIN MDS re-implementation ASAP. Sorry
> to be so mercenary :-)

Well, before I went any further I was hoping to get some general
feedback from this group.  Then, once people seemed reasonably okay with
it I was just going to write it up in a nicer fashion and then we could
make it available to whomever wanted to look at it.

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities