[mdx] MDX & expressing communites-of-interest

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Wed May 20 06:29:16 PDT 2009

On 20 May 2009, at 14:08, Thomas Lenggenhager wrote:

> What needs to be solved for operational reasons:
> Anyone can assert an affiliation membership for a collection of
> entityIDs, even without these entities are aware of and do agree!

I really don't see this as a problem, as long we understand that
defining the *meaning* of the grouping is the responsibility of the
affiliation entity registrant.

> That is like http links resolving to 404 :-)

I think it's more like someone writing a web page that refers to other
web pages without the permission of the creators of those other
pages.  Which of course is the normal case on the web.

> Some policy expressed in practice statements will have to be linked to
> the affiliation membership assertion in order to become operationally
> practical.

The *registrant* of a particular affiliation entity would have to
define what the grouping meant for it to be useful to its ultimate
consumers, yes.  But that doesn't mean that either the registrar or
any other party needs to care about that definition, or anything else
other than that the affiliation entity metadata has been registered
authentically.

	-- Ian