[mdx] Hi from a new guy

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Mon Sep 17 02:26:47 PDT 2012

On 14 Sep 2012, at 18:56, Andy Dale <dalea at oclc.org> wrote:

> I have noticed that the spec seems to be quite old and that there are what appear to be unresolved discussion threads  on this list that may indicate an edit might be in order.

For basic uses of the kind you're talking about (querying for the whole aggregate or for individual entity metadata) the spec is not so much old as stable.  The outstanding issues are over the question of whether additional features should be added in order to service more advanced use cases.  I'm personally of the opinion that we should expect to see some real take-up of and experience with the basic stuff before we push towards the complex cases.

> I’m afraid to say I also have some ideas of how I would like to optimize Metadata retrieval that I would be interested to get vetted by some folks smarter than me  (that’s you).

I think this list would be a good place to do that.

> So first... Is there anyone still on this list that wants to make progress? Are there other lists we should notify and include if we do want to proceed? I’m willing to do a little wrangling and maybe even a little documentation of consensus if there are interested participants.

I guess you'd have to say what you think progress would look like: if you mean that the existing draft doesn't meet your use cases, talking about why that's the case would be very useful.  If the existing draft *does* meet your use cases, we're talking about implementations and several people here have things cooking at various levels of maturity.

	-- Ian