[mdx] OCLC Use case

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 18 11:04:13 PDT 2012

On 9/18/12 12:57 PM, "Andy Dale" <dalea at oclc.org> wrote:

>I'm happy to reduce this to a role tag. Is this the same as the extended
>syntax that is already being discussed? If so, how might the metadata url
>look?

I haven't actually looked at the draft in a long time so I don't remember.
No, I don't think it's the same as anything that's been proposed.

As an implementer, I did something very simply, I made it possible to
apply a regular expression to an entityID to produce a URL to use to fetch
the metadata. Once you do that, the URL doesn't matter. The important
elements of the spec to an implementer are the HTTP semantics that have to
be used.

>I assume that the semantics are something like 'give me a signed SAML
>metadata document that includes only those entities that include
>SPSSODescriptor Roles' am I understand it right?

Yes. Or possibly "give me all the entities that include that role and
exclude any other roles from those entities".

That assumes you're talking reasonable numbers. 20,000 really isn't
reasonable. That needs a different model that is based on accessing by
entityID, which is obviously already part of MDX.

-- Scott