[mdx] Follow up: returning the "all entities" aggregate

Bradley Beddoes bradleybeddoes at aaf.edu.au
Wed Apr 29 20:59:19 PDT 2015

Hi,
I was hoping to get some clarification on the thread
http://lists.iay.org.uk/pipermail/mdx-iay.org.uk/2014-September/000677.html
(I've just joined the list and can only access online currently hence the
new thread).

We're currently working on an implementation of the Metadata Query Protocol
and within our context returning '*all entities known to the responder'  *at
/entities is seemingly not going to be practical. In our specific
implementation we're storing metadata from multiple sources within a single
deployment which are grouped internally for various purposes.

The identifier approach however works well allowing construction of paths
to represent groups as well as individual entities such as:

   - /entities/aaf
   - /entities/specific-group-identifier
   - /entities/http%3A%2F%2Fexample.org%2Fidp%2Fshibboleth
   - /entities/{sha1}EntityID

Was there a consensus reached regarding appropriate response for
implementations not wanting to support /entities ? I note 404 and 400 were
suggested by Tom and later in the thread Ian was going to implement
something into his implementation but I missed specifics.

If there wasn't consensus would 300 or 303 possibly be appropriate?. In
that instance Location could indicate what the implementation considers its
default path(identifier) with the former able to also indicate other
choices that are available.

Bradley