[mdx] Concepts document V1.9

Ian Young ian at iay.org.uk
Mon May 18 06:03:18 PDT 2009

On 18 May 2009, at 12:31, Josh Howlett wrote:

> According to Wikipedia, a common carrier operates
> "under license or authority provided by a regulatory body".

I think that sentence is an over-generalisation, as trawling through
the first dozen Google hits for "common carrier" reveals that
Wikipedia is very much in the minority in regarding a license from a
regulatory body as part of the definition (although obviously that's a
common case in practice).

Having said which, although the quotation marks in our document are
meant to imply that we don't feel the analogy is exact in any case,
I'd be happy to take suggestions for new wording which would avoid any
misunderstandings.

	-- Ian